References and Keys
The following are great resources for anyone (novice to professional) interested in aquatic invertebrates. Excellent illustrations and keys assist with identification to the family level:
- McCafferty, W.P. 1981. Aquatic Entomology. The Fisherman's and Ecologists' Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their Relatives. Science Books International, Boston, Massachusetts. 448 pages.
- Voshell, J.R. Jr., 2002. A Guide to Common Freshwater Invertebrates of North America. McDonald and Woodward Publishing Company, Blacksburg, Virginia. 442 pages.
These next two references are a bit more technical and include keys to the genus level, but still contain a wealth of
information useful to anyone with interest in the field. The first deals with only insects, and the second addresses almost
all freshwater invertebrates except insects:
- Merrit, R.W. and K.W. Cummins, editors. 1996. An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America. 3rd edition. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque. Iowa. 862 pages.
- Smith, D.G. 2001. Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States: Porifera to Crustacea. 4th edition. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, New York. 638 pages.
The following provide excellent regional information and keys to genus level for aquatic insects. The 1975 publication can be downloaded free and the updated (1995) version can be ordered on-line at a very reasonable price:
- Hilsenhoff, W.L. 1975. Aquatic Insects of Wisconsin. Generic Keys and Notes on Biology, Ecology and Distribution. Technical Bulletin 89, Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources.53 pages. Find it at the University of Wisconsin Library.
- Hilsenhoff, W.L. 1995. Aquatic Insects of Wisconsin. Keys to Wisconsin Genera and Notes on Biology, Habitat, Distribution and Species. Publication Number 3 of the Natural History Museums Council, University of Wiconsin-Madison. 79 pages. Find it here
The following discuss Iowa Mayflies and Stoneflies:
- Heimdal, D.P., R.E. DeWalt and T.F. Wilton. 2004. Annotated checklist of the stoneflies (Plecoptera) of Iowa. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 106(4): pages 761-778.
- Heimdal, D.P. and M.W. Birmingham. 2006. Additions and corrections to the stoneflies (Plecoptera) of Iowa, U.S.A. The Great Lakes Entomologist 39(3-4): pages 221-223.
- McCafferty, W.P., T. Hubbard, T.H. Klubertanz, R.P. Randolph and M. Birmingham. 2003. Mayflies (Ephemeroptera) of the Great Plains. II: Iowa. Transactions of the American Entomological Society 12pt9: pages 77-105.
- McCafferty, W.P., T. Hubbard and J.M. Webb. 2006. Insecta, Ephemeroptera: range extensions and new Iowa state records. Check List: Journal of Species Lists and Distribution 2(1): pages 40-41.