The Center for the Advancement of Laboratory Science is located in the lower level of the State Hygienic Laboratory at the University of Iowa. The building sits on the University of Iowa Research Park, on the southeast corner of Iowa Highway 965/Coral Ridge Avenue and Oakdale Blvd. in Coralville, Iowa.
- Easy-to-move furniture facilitates many configurations to accommodate up to 150 people.
- Space can be divided into two rooms, each seating up to 70 to 75 people.
- Ideal for educational courses and activities, and community, state, regional, and national meetings and conferences
- Sink and counter space (Room 169 only)
Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) laboratory classroom
- Seats 24 people
- In-house gas supplies and vacuum system
- Atmospheric and CO2 incubators
- Two 4˚C refrigerators
- One -80˚C freezer
- Deionized water supply
- Water baths
- Heat blocks
- Stir plates
- pH meter
- Two LightCyclerŽ real-time PCR instruments
- Open bench space
- Flexible-seating arrangement with instructor wet bench and overhead camera
Biosafety Level 3 (BSL3) laboratory suites
- Two negative-pressure BSL3 suites can each accommodate two-three people working together.
- One biosafety cabinet available in each suite
- Open bench space
- In-house carbon dioxide supply in each suite
- Viewing window between suites allows scientists to observe one another for education and safety purposes.
- Free wireless internet is available to all users.
- Conference rooms and BSL2 laboratory classroom have a podium equipped with a PC, HDMI and VGA laptop connections, Blu-ray player, document camera and HD projector all controlled by touchscreen controls or iPad.
- Teleconference options include:
- Free local, single-line connections
- Long-distance, single-line connections at user’s expense
- Multi-line connections via teleconferencing bridge at user’s expense
- Videoconference options include:
- Up to four-way video connection via the Polycom Network. All participants must have access to the Polycom Network.
- Conference rooms can select one of the cameras from the laboratory, including an overhead camera that can observe the instructor’s demonstration table.
- Hearing loop system provides additional sound to those individuals with enabled hearing aids. Headphones that pick up the hearing loop signal are available upon request.
Catering and Vending
Food and beverages are allowed in the conference and meeting rooms within the CALS. Consistent with general laboratory safety, however, no food or beverages are allowed in the training laboratory or its accompanying suites under any circumstances.
Catering is allowed in the conference and meeting rooms within the CALS, but must be arranged via a licensed caterer or restaurant. The CALS and the State Hygienic Laboratory do not provide catering or refreshments of any kind, nor do they make catering reservations on the behalf of any party.
Soda, bottled water, and snacks are available for purchase from vending machines located within the CALS.
Alcohol is permitted ONLY when approved by the State Hygienic Laboratory and the University of Iowa, and must be provided by the Iowa Memorial Union. No other alcohol is permitted in the CALS at any time for any reason.
Conference Center Floorplans
Click the thumbnails below for larger images.Conference Room Layout
Training Laboratory Room Layout